HMRC SA302 & Self Employed Documents For Getting a Mortgage

March 31, 2021
footer logo

When applying for a mortgage, lenders want to see evidence of your income. For the self-employed, this will mean digging out your SA302 forms.

The SA302 & Tax Year Overview is required for a number of requested years. Read on to learn how to access this form and how to make sure your SA302 is accepted.

Where do I find my SA302?

Once you have filed your self-assessment tax return, HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) will provide this information through your online account. You will need to go to the HMRC self-assessment website and enter your login details You can then access an online version of your SA302 and your tax year overview.

Paper originals are still accepted by many lenders if you do not have access to your online account. These can be ordered by you or your accountant by calling HMRC on 0300 200 3310.

You can use a combination of paper and online forms if you are submitting for multiple years.

What to check before you submit

For your SA302 form to be accepted by the lender, you need to make sure the following information is visible:

  • HMRC logo
  • Unique Tax Reference (UTR)
  • Your name
  • The tax year

How to print your SA302 form (online)

You will need access to your HMRC online account to be able to complete these steps.

  1. Head to the HMRC website
  2. Select ‘self assessment’. If you are only registered for self-assessment, you may be automatically redirected to this screen.
  3. Follow the link to “View Your Tax Returns”
  4. Choose the relevant year and select “Go”
  5. Click on “View Return”
  6. Click on “View Calculation”
  7. Click on “View and print your calculation”
  8. Follow the instructions on the page to print your SA302 form

Tax Year Overview

In addition to your SA302, you will also need to provide your tax year overview. This helps lenders to confirm the amount of money you have earned. The tax year overview is only provided once an individual has submitted their tax return. The tax year overview shows the amount of money paid to HMRC, or any refunds due for a given tax year.

To print your tax year overview (online) follow these steps:

  1. Head to the HMRC website
  2. Select ‘self assessment’. If you are only registered for self-assessment, you may be automatically redirected to this screen.
  3. Click on “self assessment overview”
  4. Click on “view accounts”
  5. Click on “tax years”
  6. Select the relevant tax year and click “go”
  7. Follow the link to “print your tax year overview

Complete these steps for all relevant years. The more years of tax returns you can provide, the more likely you are to be accepted by a lender. If you’re struggling to secure a mortgage with self-employment income, get in touch with Niche Mortgage Info to find out how we can help.

Check out our Latest Related Articles...

Niche Mortgage Info is a guidance website and introducer and is not regulated by the FCA. All of the advisers we partner with work only for firms who are authorised and regulated by the FCA and specialise in a number of different fields. They will offer any advice specific to you and your needs. The information on the site is not tailored advice to each individual reader, and as such does not constitute financial advice.

By making an enquiry you accept that your information will be passed to one of the specialists.